Mirror Lake Stormwater Pre-treatment Facility
CLIENT: City of St. Petersburg Engineering Department
CONTACT: Michael Connors, P.E. (727-893-7294)
PROJECT DATES: 1997-2000
PROJECT DIRECTOR: Dr. Harvey H. Harper, P.E.
PROJECT MANAGER: Jeffrey L. Herr, P.E.
FIELD OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR: Chip Harper
LABORATORY SUPERVISOR: David Baker, P.E.
PROJECT BUDGET AND SCHEDULE
PROJECT BUDGET: $425,000
CONSRUCTION COMPLETION DATE: 2000
A detailed evaluation was conducted to quantify pollutants entering Mirror Lake from the contributing 144-acre watershed. The evaluation included hydrologic modeling, collection and analysis of stormwater runoff, and calculation of existing hydrologic and pollutant loads. A conceptual plan was prepared to treat the stormwater runoff and baseflow from the 144-acre watershed with chemical coagulants. Laboratory jar testing was conducted to evaluate changes in chemical characteristics of runoff resulting from alum addition. Anticipated pollutant load reductions were calculated for the proposed chemical treatment system.
ERD prepared construction drawings, contract documents, technical specifications, and opinions of cost for a stormwater chemical treatment system to treat runoff from the 144-acre watershed. ERD was also responsible for obtaining permits from the Southwest Florida Water Management District (SWFWMD) and the Army Corps of Engineers (ACOE) for construction of the project. ERD provided assistance to the City of St. Petersburg during the Bidding Phase and the Construction Phase. Construction was completed in 1999. ERD also provided system start-up, initial operation, and training of City personnel.
RELEVANT WORK PRODUCTS
- Evaluation of the volume of stormwater runoff and pollutant loadings discharging to Mirror Lake under current conditions
- Evaluation of water quality improvements from the proposed retrofit program
- Preparation of construction drawings, technical specifications, contract documents, and opinions of cost
- Preparation of SWFWMD ERP Permit Application and ACOE Permit Application
- Construction administration, O&M, and training